Chuck Berry -Under the Influence
With songs such as “Maybellene” (1955), “Roll Over Beethoven” (1956), “Rock and Roll Music” (1957) and “Johnny B. Goode” (1958), Chuck Berry refined and developed rhythm and blues into the major elements that made rock and roll distinctive, with lyrics focusing on teen life and consumerism and utilizing guitar solos and showmanship that would be a major influence on subsequent rock music. –Wiki
The following list of songs are by Chuck Berry or Covered Berry Songs by other well known bands that became “Under the InFluence“:
- Back in the USA -Ronstadt – Berry – Richards
- Chuck Berry – Johnny B. Good – Dance Off
- Steppenwolf -Berry Rides Again
- The Sex Pistols – Johnny B Goode
- Chuck Berry – Hail! Hail! Rock N’ Roll
- Johnny B. Goode -Back to the Future
- Chuck Berry -Johnny B Good
- Social Distortion-Maybellene
- Chuck Berry -Maybellene
- Chuck Berry -No Particular Place To Go
- The Rolling Stones -Carol
- Chuck Berry -Roll Over Beethoven
- Chuck Berry and Keith Richards -Nadine
- The Rolling Stones -Around and Around
As with all influential artists in rock and roll, Chuck Berry has anthologized an almost obscene number of times. However, as with all artists, only a few of his collections are worth getting. And for those just getting into Chuck Berry, there is no better place to start than “The Definitive Collection”.
This 30 song, single disc collection contains all the ideal Berry classics for the casual fans: “Maybellene”, “Roll Over Beethoven”, “Brown Eyed Handsome Man”, “School Day”, “Rock And Roll Music”, “Sweet Little Sixteen”, the timeless “Johnny B. Goode”, “Little Queenie” and a host of others are all here, all in chronological orders, all digitally remastered and sounding better than ever. The sound quality alone is enough to get even the most avid Berry fan to add yet another compilation to their collection.
The liner notes by Bud Scoppa do an excellent job at emphasizing Berry’s impact on the music world, and the packaging as a whole is quite excellent. If you’re just beginning the music of Rock’s Prime Minister, than this cd is a must have.